Monday, August 18, 2008

Beginnings

Ok, so, a little back ground is necessary here to understand where I came from and how I ended up where I am today.

My honey and and I got married waayyy back in 1983. We were both unemployed and didn't have any business getting married but, we loved each other and love conquers all right? Well it has for 25 years so far.

So, there we were with no prospects and facing the end of the unemployment checks soon. DH wanted to go to school. We researched that and decided he should attend the local state college. They had just started their computer science program and we thought that would be a good plan. Unfortunately, we did not have a plan in place to pay for said schooling.

Que music ......Be........All..........That.........You..........Can...........Be

Oh yeah, and get money for SCHOOL.

After a lot of arguing, bickering and gnashing of teeth, we joined the army. I say we because it was a decision we both made. While he would be taking the oath, I would be standing by his side. Washing and ironing BDU's, sewing on unit insignia and keeping the home fires burning. Moron this later. Yes I did mean to say moron.

We had no idea at the time how this decision would change the course of our lives. Up until then we lived in Podunk pacific northwest and most of our peers had children and been divorced before we even got married. You know the place, people you went to high school with are still doing the same crap they did in high school today. We wanted something different for us.

Off he went to basic in Alabama. A three month course that turned into six. Culminating in Graduation to a one year unaccompanied tour of South Korea. Needless to say we weren't ecstatic about this since he had been gone for six months already. But, needs of the Army right?

To be continued.......

5 comments:

De Anna Glendenning said...

when? More when? I honestly can't wait to read more of your story!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I know what thats like.... As a kid my father was in the Airforce and we lived all over the place.

Virginia, Hawaii, Texas

I think now as an adult... I know why I SUPERLY HATE when it comes to moving because I did it so much as a kid lol!

Take Care,
Christopher

http://cmarlow480.blogspot.com/

Molly said...

Update posted Anna

Molly said...

Thanks Christopher;
Wow, Hawaii you lucky bum. We just took a week trip there to celebrate our 25th anniversary.

Yeah, moving sucks. I looked at the moving companies with awe and suspicion. It was great how they would swoop in and literally pack everything that wasn't nailed down but, then I would think about them pawing thru my undie drawer and get the creeps. Although, we did not have children until the last two moves of my active duty husbands career so I guess you could say that my kids are spoiled. The oldest is 14 years old and he remembers Germany like it was yesterday, and in fairy tale proportion no less.

Thanks for leaving a comment. I will visit your blog this weekend.
Molly

Unknown said...

Oh I remember the good old days....they make good historical novels.